Malaysia is preparing its move into an endemic Covid-19 phase by the end of October, however, this does not mean we can go back to our pre-Covid-19 habits and lifestyles, mask-wearing would now be a norm and the public would need to undergo regular self-testing in line with our National Testing Strategy. Some of the common questions about Self test kits are: Are they accurate? What am I supposed to do after I get tested positive? Which brands are approved by KKM? Here are a few things you need to know about self-test kits!
When do I need to do self-testing?
You can self-test anytime on a periodic basis, however, IF you are a close contact of a COVID-19 positive patient OR you display COVID-19 symptoms such as fever, cough, fatigue, sore throat, diarrhoea, or headache, you are required to undergo COVID-19 testing.
It is suggested that if you display symptoms, you should test immediately, but if you are an asymptomatic close contact, you should wait 3 days before taking the test. It is not in the KKM guidelines, but practitioners suggest that the best time to do a COVID-19 test is in the morning when you just woke up, because the viral load is then the highest in the mouth.
Where to buy genuine Self Test Kits?
You can purchase the COVID-19 Self Test kits in licensed pharmacies or clinics or on the MySejahtera application. Be extra careful when purchasing Self Test kits online or from dubious sources, you can now double-check whether the brand is on the KKM approved list on KKM’s website, and currently there are 20 brands that have received conditional approval and are safe to use.
- Salixium-COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Rapid Test (Saliva/ Nasal Swab Samples)
- Gmate® COVID-19 Ag Saliva for Home Use
- BERIGHT-COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test Device (Oral Fluid)
- ALLTest COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test (Oral Fluid)
- JusChek COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test (Oral Fluid)
- Longsee 2019-nCoV Ag & Influenza A/B Rapid Co-Detection Kit (Immunochromatography) Home based Use
- Sichuan Xincheng SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Assay
- Flowflex™ SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test (Self-testing)
- STANDARD™ Q COVID-19 Ag Saliva Home Test
- ProDetect™ COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Self-Test (Saliva)
- NEWGENE Bioengineering COVID-19 Antigen Detection Kit
- Lituo COVID-19 Antigen Detection Kit (Colloidal Gold) Self Test Kit
- GRUENBANKA SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Detection Kit (Colloidal Gold Method)
- Humasis COVID-19 Ag Home Test (Self-Test)
- LYHER® Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Antigen Test Kit (Colloidal Gold)
- ALLTEST COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test(Oral Fluid)
- Beright™ SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test (Nasal Swab) For Self-testing
- Roche SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Self-Test Nasal
- ARISTA™ COVID-19 Antigen Rapid Test
- Whistling™ Test 2019-nCoV Saliva Ag Easy Test
How to do self-testing?
Rinse your mouth 30 minutes before the test, and do not eat, smoke, nor drink beverages before the test.
Then follow the instructions on the self-test kit box to start testing.
Is Nasal or Saliva testing better?
Those who are self-testing at home are recommended to do saliva testing as it can be quite daunting to do a nasal swab test by yourself since it requires the swab to go in 10cm into the nose, and many people don’t do it correctly.
What do I need to do if I am tested positive?
Immediately undergo self-quarantine and monitor your condition, then you should update on MySejahtera ‘COVID-19 Self Test’. You would still need to do an RT-PCR test after your RTK-Ag home test because the official results would be based on the RT-PCR test.
If your RTK-Ag results are negative but are a close contact, you would still need to do an RT-PCR test as confirmation. In accordance with the current guidelines, symptomatic patients with negative RTK-Ag results shall be tested with RT-PCR.
- Do NOT sanitise the test kit, the antiseptic would destroy the protein inside.
- Do NOT reuse test kits
- Do NOT store the test kits under extreme heat, for example on the car dashboard under the hot sun
- Do NOT simply dispose of used test kits, dispose them properly using the disposal bag given in the kit, because they are considered biohazard waste under the Environmental Quality (Scheduled Wastes) Regulations 2005 – First Schedule SW404
- Do clean your hands and surroundings before taking the test to minimise the possibility of contamination
For updated guidelines, visit KKM’s website.
Joyce Tan is a content writer under Headliner by Newswav, a programme where content creators get to tell their unique stories through articles and at the same time monetize their content within the Newswav app.
Register at headliner.newswav.com to become one of our content writers now!
*The views expressed are those of the author. If you have any questions about the content, copyright or other issues of the work, please contact Newswav.